About Delgany Golf Club, Co.Wicklow

Delgany Golf Club is located in the heart of County Wicklow. Surrounded by beautiful countryside and breathtaking scenery, with hill and sea views from Bray Head and the Sugar Loaf to Wicklow Head, we can guarantee that you will enjoy every round of golf played on our 18 hole woodland course.

Delgany Golf Club became affiliated with the Golfing Union of Ireland in 1908.

The club is ideally situated within 30 minutes of Dublin City centre, only 1hr from Dublin International Airport via the M50 motorway, just 25mins from Dun Laoghaire Harbour and 1.5hrs from Rosslare Europort.

delgany, wicklow, golf, course, ireland

Delgany Golf Club, Co.Wicklow Aerial View

 

Club History

Delgany Golf Club was established in 1908 and is situated in the heart of County Wicklow, the Garden of Ireland. The ethos of Delgany Golf Club goes back to its foundation by members of Greystones G.C. who were then not allowed to play golf on Sundays on their own golf course. Interestingly, the first competition was played over nine holes on Good Friday that year and on St. Stephen’s Day of the same year the first 18 holes competition was played. This was also the first Captain’s Prize won by Clem Robertson who was subsequently killed in the First World War.

The fine golfing tradition of Delgany Golf Club can be traced back to Saturday, 18th September 1909 when Harry Vardon, one of the great names in the history of golf, played an exhibition match against the Irish champion, Michael Moran. Vardon, who won over 36 holes by 3 and 2, playing with only 7 or 8 clubs in his bag, said after the match that “he drove like a lion but putted like a lamb”. Apparently during the match several defects in the original layout of the course became evident and Vardon was subsequently engaged by the Club to make recommendations about the future layout of the course. He advised how the greens and bunkers could be improved and he made many other suggestions which were accepted by the Club.

The Ryder Cup came to Ireland for the first time in 2006 and it is interesting to note the strong connections that Delgany Golf Club has with this famous event. It is one of only two golf clubs in the world to have produced four Ryder Cup players in Harry Bradshaw, Jimmy Martin, John O’Leary and Eamonn Darcy. The strong Bradshaw family connection continues to the present day. Furthermore, Eamonn Darcy is a grand-nephew of Patrick J. Doyle, the first golf professional in Delgany Golf Club who subsequently became a well-known tournament and teaching professional in America. These strong links with the Ryder Cup were maintained when in the 2006 event, Darren Reynolds, a member of Delgany Golf Club caddied for Paul McGinley.

Following an investment of almost €1.5 million by the members, Delgany Golf Club reopened its remodelled golf course with sand based greens and tees to USGA specifications on the 26th June 2004. As part of this investment a state-of-the-art Course Maintenance facility was also completed earlier in the year.

The bulk of this work was carried out over a three-month period in the summer of 2003 during which the Delgany members were kindly accommodated in neighbouring Clubs. The remodelled course was designed by the well-known Irish golf course architect, Patrick Merrigan, and was constructed by SOL one of Ireland’s leading golf course contractors. In his design, Patrick Merrigan was anxious to blend the newly constructed areas into the existing and natural contours of the course in order to make the new and old features indistinguishable while improving its year round playability and the overall enjoyment of the Delgany golfing experience.

Delgany Golf Club now presents golfers with an almost completely refurbished course offering a new challenge in a unique landscape and traditional environment. In addition, the newly redeveloped Clubhouse (a further investment of over €3.5m by the members)became operational in mid February of 2007 and offers members and guests alike excellent Clubhouse facilities and services. Delgany Golf Club wishes all its members and visitors many happy hours playing the remodelled course and may everyone continue to enjoy the friendly Delgany hospitality on and off the golf course.

Club Gallery

The front entrance area leads into the Club Gallery where a photographic history of the Club is available in chronological order. In addition, the winning teams over the years, the Ryder Cup links and some of the ‘famous faces of  Delgany’ are also prominently displayed.

Delgany Golf Club is steeped in history and it is interesting to note some events and stories from its archives.

[divider]

50 Years Ago by Vincent Byrne (Past member)

“I remember Delgany Golf Club in the years immediately after the war when the green fee was only half a crown (12p.) and one year’s membership was two guineas. Paddy and May Cullen had just arrived with May in charge of the catering and Paddy acting as general everything. At that time you could have a full lunch for half a crown and a steak dinner for five shillings. A good day’s outing could be had for less than £1.00. There was the green fee of half a crown, lunch half a crown and dinner five shillings, you could have losing bets of half a crown on each of two rounds and have enough left for ten bottles of stout at sixpence each.

There were very few cars to be seen in those days. Most came by bus and carried their clubs from the terminus at Sweeney’s pub in the village. That is now The Delgany (Bakery & Cafe).”

[divider]

Ryder Cup Links

Harry Bradshaw is one of the legends of golf. He played in the Ryder Cup in 1953 1955, and 1957. He also tied for the 1949 British Open but lost on a play off, won the Dunlop Masters in 1953 and 1955, won the Irish Professional Title 10 times and was on the Irish team which won the World (then the Canada) Cup in 1958.

Jimmy Martin who played in the Ryder Cup at Birkdale in 1965, was born in the Delgany area. Among his many achievements, he represented his country on 5 occasions in the Canada/ World Cups and won the Carrolls International.

John O’Leary was a member of Delgany Golf Club and played in the Ryder Cup in 1975. His tournament victories include the Greater Manchester Open in 1976 and the Carrolls Irish Open in 1982.

Eamonn Darcy was born and raised beside Delgany Golf Club and played in the Ryder Cup in 1975, 1977, 1981 and 1987. He has also enjoyed many other victories such as the World U-25 title, and the Dubai Dessert Classic. Photographs supplied by Brendan Fogarty 01-6687155

The clubhouse has a Ryder Cup bar with memorabilia of the 4 Ryder Cup players.